Thursday, January 22, 2009

Is it an "academic blog" just because it says it's an "academic blog"?


I apologize in advance for the inevitable bug-related squirming.


The three blogs that I read varied significantly in regards to how academic their content was. It made it more difficult for me to qualify what an academic blog is. And in my own person opinion, some of these supposed academic blogs seem more like social blogs with an academic article or two than like an academic blog with some additional flavor.
The first blog I read was “Bug Girl’s Blog” and this blog seemed far from academic. This website combined mostly an irrelevant potpourri of information and a few scarce remarks about bugs. For a scholar who has a doctorate in entomology, she clearly talks less about the field where she is respected in and more about societal commentary.
There are a few points, however, where this blog is unique and great for the reader. First, she immediately establishes her credibility as an entomologist by listing her degree and previous academic work in the “About Bug Girl” section. Second, she adds a lot of comedy to her blog, which I always thought disqualified a blog from being academic, since most academic studies are serious. Additionally, she grabs everyone’s attention with a multitude of ‘unique’ images. The first image I saw when I logged on to her blog was a picture of a woman sitting down with her butt crack showing. That seemed to pop out to me and say “wow, why is this here,” which is what caused me to continue reading it. As you continue down the page, there are pictures all over the place, ranging from an exquisite bug to a kung-fu scene. Once again, this unique combination helps to draw the reader, but also makes the reader question the academic validity of the blog.
The second blog that I read was “Crooked Timber.” This blog was the exact opposite in almost every fashion from “Bug Girl’s Blog.” It is dry, academically verbose and superficial, and barely uses the internet to influence how he presents this media. On the entire front page of this blog, there is only chart and one video: no pictures and no other non-prose media. This makes it much more boring to read than the previous blog. However, this blog does have more academic discussions and analyses than the other blog. The writers do try to spice things up on this blog by using spicy phrases such as “political scientists are pretty damn hot in comparative terms.”
Finally, the last blog I read was the one by Josep Colomer. On this blog, Colomer combines political science analysis with current events and analyzes each through the other’s lens. This intertwining keeps the reader interested, while providing academic information. We can all read and understand media reports, but Colomer’s writing enables us to understand how what the media is reporting applies to his academic field (comparative politics). Additionally, Colomer establishes his academic credibility in the brief biography on the side of his blog (furthermore, I know he is credible since one of my political science textbooks is written by Colomer). Also, by serving as a comparative politics specialist, he gives the laymen American a unique perspective to modern day news stories.
Finally, his blog is more visually bland than the bug blog, but not as bad as “Crooked Timber.” He uses very few pictures, and the ones that he does use aren’t very exciting. However, he does embed many links on his website, which does increase the “new” part of new media.
Thus, these three blogs all try to be academic in different ways, but I would only classify the latter two blogs as academic. The first blog just does not seem serious enough and germane enough to an academic field.

5 comments:

  1. Andrew- Your post goes a long way toward identifying what you feel constitutes an academic blog. That's a good thing. I find it interesting that you and many of your peers believe that academic material can't also contain humor. I'm really curious where this assumption comes from? Perhaps when I say academic, I include material that is intellectual--not strictly research-based. And without humor, our intellects about be sad and starving for what is a very human element: play, fun--from which creativity comes.

    I like this blog design you've chosen. It's very clean and easy to read. But I don't understand your blog title and its relevance to your endeavor here. You also might want to think more about what you've got in the right column.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For someone who praises a blog author for using links, you sure don't use any yourself.
    When you reference anything that's not in the post itself, you should always link.
    It's not a style choice to not include them, it's for the reader's sake.

    @Delia I want to ditto your comments on the title of this post and the right column.
    I mean, weather and searching youtube?
    What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew -- I thought this comment was interesting: "some of these supposed academic blogs seem more like social blogs with an academic article or two than like an academic blog with some additional flavor." I think academic blogs act as a way for intellectuals to showcase their knowledge and connect with their peers. As a result of the networking aspect of blogs, blogging is going to be social. This "many-to-many" form of communication is one way blogging differs from more traditional media forms, and it's pretty integral to becoming a successful blog, academic or not.
    I also thought it was interesting that you find Bug Girl and Colomer credible because of what they write about their academic backgrounds and work. I had never read/heard about Colomer and after looking at his blog, I had some doubt about his credibility. People take on a different persona in their blogs and hide behind other names. How does this affect our trust and opinion of the blogger?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your general descriptions of the different blog designs and style but do you feel that credibility is harmed by humor? I wonder this myself sometimes but I think humor can be used effectively in moderation. Perhaps Bug Girl goes a little too far and the fact that she doesn't list her name is a problem for me in terms of blog cred. I'm sorry to hear you had a textbook by Colomer, did he bold the important terms in the book like he does in his blog? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. in light of some of these comments and the discussions from class, I have shifted my view about humor and blogs. For a while I was hesitant to include humor in blogs because what I have usually seen in academia was intentionally boring and dry. I realize now and from many of the class discussions that academic blogs are a way for academics to introduce some flare to what they believe. That being said, I don't really consider Bug Girl's Blog to be legitamitly academic because most of her comments in no way relate to anything academic.

    ReplyDelete