
"A Fist Bump? A Jab? A terrorist fist jab?"-E.D. Hill, describing Michelle Obama giving a celebratory fist jab to President Obama.

"Another reason why it's very rare to find a woman worthy of serving in political office", describing Nancy Pelosi-Chris Baker, talk radio host


About Michelle Obama: "And if she wants me to shed my cynicism, she's going to have to prize it from my cold, dead, cynical fingers. This is not -- this is [North Korean dictator] Kim Jong-Il dressed up with a bit of Oprah Winfrey dressing."-Mark Steyn, political pundit

On Autism: "A fraud, a racket. ... In 99 percent of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out."-Michael Savage, radio talk show host.

On the Middle East": "[L]evel it and then salt the earth so that nothing grows for a thousand years."-Jim Quinn, Radio talk show host

"'Shades of the Gestapo. The Geheime Staatspolizei,' to which the caller replied: 'How's the cooking going to be? What will -- what will they serve, at the [concentration]camp?' Liddy responded: 'Well, I think, probably, there'll be ham hocks and turnip greens'."-G. Gordon Liddy, radio talk show host and Nixon co-conspirator

"It is not a stretch to say MoveOn is the new Klan."-Bill O'Reilly, cable news and talk radio host

“Did you hear about this Khalidi tape where Obama is toasting a guy who wants to gas and fry Jews?...Obama wants to gas the Jews, like the PLO wants to gas the Jews, like the Nazis gassed the Jews.”-Bill Cunningham, radio talk show host
All quotes are taken from:
http://mediamatters.org/items/200812100002
Before I talk about my overall impressions from creating this piece, let me simply remark on the hardest part of this blog: computer formatting. I'm still having issues formating everything the way I want it to be done, but my (lack of) html skill is really hindering that. And now, to my message.
I tried to convey a message that maybe we should think before we speak. I know that most of us do, but some people, notably the punditry and political science commentators, have a tendency not to do this. Liberal or conservative, Democrat or Republican, this is a problem. When we compare things to previous genocides or mention causing new genocides, just realize exactly what you are saying and how powerful hate speech can really be.
I intentionally placed (or at least attempted to with my limited programming skill) the images in order of least shocking to most shocking, so that the reader could progressively feel how crazy many of these comments are. Additionally, I made sure to put the image first, followed by the text. Many of these pictures are powerful, so I felt the reader should view the image first and get shocked. Then, they could read the quote and understand how powerful the quote was. Thus, I used the shock value of the pictures to help show the power of many of these quotes.
Wow, shock value indeed. I intentionally tamped down the photos I used in my slideshow but I definitely feel that you needed the shock value. You say that you made the photos increasingly more shocking but I think 9/11 is more shocking then Michelle Obama. I'm just sayin'.
ReplyDeleteRight-wing hate is a really scary thing to me because in large part I see them as inciting riots and general strife. Your photos certainly convey a powerful message and the text helps to hone that.
Just to add another "amazing" quote: http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/al-gore-creating-another-hitler-yout
ReplyDelete