Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Cuervoman and I




















(This picture is from http://www.aircrafter.org/boggs/homebrew/Beer_Mug_by_nicubunu.png)


This blog entry is about Cuervoman from This American Life: “Plan B” and how his story has impacted me.

Cuervoman’s story, while unique because he was being paid, was not unique in his activities. Rampant drinking, excessive bar games, and near-alcoholism with undesired consequences is common on most college campuses. When I heard Cuervoman’s story I was initially intrigued. I thought his job was the best in the world and something that anyone would enjoy, especially since it appeared to be like college but without the work. Then, as Cuervoman continued his story and discussed his decision to stop drinking I realized how fragile his balance of life and work was. The job was fun, but alcohol eventually consumed his life and began to negatively affect his life.

This was something that I struggled with, not because I thought I was an alcoholic, but because I recently began to see the negative consequences of drinking. As a college student in a fraternity, drinking is as common as doing homework. Like most students I would drink heavily (to the point where I was intoxicated or past that) on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, every weekend. Additionally, like most of my fraternity brothers, I would have a few beers after I finished my homework the other three to four nights a week. My decision to drink on these other nights wasn’t determined by how often I was drinking, but rather how early I got back from the library. My first priority was always to finish homework before I would drink, and this was never and still is never a problem.

Nevertheless, I began to notice my drinking’s negative effects. I would often wake up lethargic and/or weak, but because I was never hung-over I thought this was fine. However, over the last five months I thought that I had become more stupid. I couldn’t remember things as well as I used to be able to and whenever I spoke it took me longer to figure out what I was going to say. I felt more spaced out when I spoke and words and ideas that I thought were commonly escaping my mind before I uttered them. I tried to ignore this and I even attributed them to other activities, simply saying this is just what happens in college.

Then, over break one of my friends, Paul, was saying the same thing as me. Paul said that he thought his excessive drinking (which I think was heavier than my own) was making him less intelligent. His GPA had dropped from a perfect 4.0 his first three semesters as college to a mere 3.7 (to be fair he goes to SUNY Binghamton, not Michigan). He attributed this effect to excessive drinking, and once he told me that I began to wonder if the same applied to me. This conversation happened over winter break within a large group of friend, off-the-cuff, and informally, and I believe that most of my friends thought nothing of it. I, however, did.

Since second semester began I have been drinking less. I still drink significant quantities of alcohol on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, but I have cut out most of my other light drinking nights to rest my brain. Since then I have noticed a reversal in my negative side-effects of drinking: I am thinking more clearly and words escape my mind less and less often now.

Why do I bring this personal story up now when we are discussing This American Life? Because it comforts me to know that other people have struggled with the negative effects of excessive drinking, not to be confused with alcoholism, which is an addiction to alcohol, but the effects of excessive drinking. Most of what I hear about drinking is about alcoholism, but finding someone like Cuervoman who chose to struggled with alcohol’s effects instead is relieving. At least I now know the story of someone else who has fought this battle.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the personal account of finding alcohol's place in your life, Andrew.

    I too joined a fraternity freshman year, as all my friends were doing it. As I had little experience with the sauce (my parents strictly objected to underage drinking), I often hit it a bit too hard. Humiliating, dangerous and downright stupid is all I can say of some of the experiences over the first two or so years of my collegiate career.

    When I turned 21, though, something happened to me. I actually felt older for the first birthday in my life. I felt as though I was part of the club, and as a club member I wanted to share the joys of drinking in a responsible manner. On rare occasion I do enjoy a few cocktails too many, as this implores the mind bending effects of time travel and despair alleviation. However, far more often, I find that a few drinks allows me to keep my wits about my words and avoid waking up blurry minded. All in all, I've learned to appreciate fewer, better drinks.

    So down with the well, and up with the top shelf. Believe it or not, but that better quality booze makes the difference in tomorrow's lecture.

    BJ F

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I really liked your blog entry because it was based on a personal experience. I feel like this is a legitimate "free style" blog entry I've read that doesn't hold back. In terms of the writing, how you were so open about everything really pulled me in and I was intrigued with the story. I also felt I learned a whole lot about you, not just your drinking habits, but how you respond to things. Your blog also reminded me of the podcast. You realized that you weren't liking your plan B (drinking) and now you were trying something new but still on the same path.

    I've never been a big drinker at all. Alcohol just doesn't intrigue me. But it was unique to hear the perspective of someone who did drink regularly. When I see people drink, I usually question what the point is, why is it necessary, why do you need it to get through the day? How do you feel when you not that cool guy at the party anymore and you are the hung over guy the next morning? Do you ever think down and think about it? What do you do about it? I feel like I received a personal account about this through your blog, which gave me a perspective I've been looking for since I watched party scenes in movie and actually have a first hand experience in being there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog post is actually quite peculiar.
    In another one of my classes, focusing on the journalistic aspect of blogging, we discussed the very nature of this post.
    It's interesting that you speak of the combination of work and play being able to maintain a balance between the two, but what about this post?
    Are you not mixing together a personal journal entry with an academic blog?
    Sure, giving an analysis a personal touch is usually fine -- not to mention popular among readers, but is it appropriate to give as much detail as you did on what is meant to be a "formal" blog?
    Is it just the nature of blogs to always make it about you, the author?
    Sorry, I didn't mean at all for that to be accusatory but rather a reflection and evaluation of your point on work and play balance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate. I'm a fairly big drinker...but I used to drink more. What's really shocking is that compared to a lot of people in my fraternity, I didn't drink THAT much.
    My problem was not knowing my limits. Blackouts were common. Too common. At first things were fine...everything was played off as "funny" or being drunk was an acceptable excuse. Now that I'm older, things are different. I've made friends cry, and significant others less attracted to me. It's caused problems. And yeah, the physical side-effects were there, too.
    So I cut back. a lot. Now I can drink a little bit, feel good, and wake up without feeling like death. Plus, I don't do half the stupid crap I used to do. This isnt to say I dont slip up every now and then...but at least I'm working on it and it and you know your situation is a pretty common one.

    And yeah, this isnt "academic" but it is about learning. and that's what we're supposed to do in college. I dont care that this isnt an "academic blog post" in its true sense, but it's okay. Its fine to take a little artistic freedom and be very detailed, even in academia, but especially when you are talking about an issue that is personal and you are passionate about. There are always exceptions to the rule, and this is definitely one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew,

    I really appreciate that you posted something personal. As a member of a sorority, I can definitely relate. For many people, alcohol becomes a staple of social life and that can definitely have its consequences. Like you, I also realized this and made a conscious effort to drink less. Good for you--I think you're heading in the right direction.

    Your post also serves as evidence of This American Life's effectiveness. It takes stories from everyday people and communicates them in a way that allows you to step into their lives. I'm in a Psych class right now and I recently learned the term "cultural empathy." This American Life does a wonderful job of fostering empathy. If only all the racist, sexist, or otherwise ignorant people in the world would listen--then they'd realize that at the end of the day, we're not that different from one another.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to echo the rest of the commenters in saying that I'm appreciative of the fact that you posted something personal. Similarly, I chose to quit smoking pot in high school after I began to notice the way it was changing both myself and my friends.

    I'm glad you were able to relate to the TAL story. I think what makes the show so great is its ability to connect people and show how universal our personal narratives can be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrew--Although you already have SEVEN comments on this blog post, I thought I would add one more. I really enjoyed your post because I think it's the first time one of us has "ripped off the bandage" in a public forum. That is to say, none of our classmates, or myself, share anything too personal on these blogs because 1. we were given prompts for a few weeks and 2. we are all struggling to decide how personal an academic blog can be.
    I think it was brave of you to address a problem that is all too common on college campuses, but also in the real world and Cuervoman's world. I've never been a heavy drinker myself, but I enjoy it as much as any other 21 year old. At some point, I became more responsible about drinking when I noticed how irresponsible my friends were when they drank. Falling down on the street, walking home barefoot in the snow, driving around town...those aren't activities I want to take part in after a night at the bars. I wish more people would be as introspective as yourself and realize that change can only come from within.

    ReplyDelete